In this digital world, where constantly evolving news feeds fight for our attention, we have found this particular graphic, when used correctly, can be powerful in standing out from the crowd!
Cinemagraphs are the magical combination of video and photography that together hold your attention and, based on their subject matter, are sure to dazzle any viewer. We’ve gathered tips from our team of media producers to create a simple infographic for Instagram using Adobe Premiere Pro. Remember, the most effective cinemagraphs use a neat looped effect that gives the graphic an everlasting smoothness.
Cinemagraphs are a great way to incorporate movement into your feed and not only look great on Instagram but in blogs, emails and websites too!
Here’s an example of how Cinemagraphs can be used for a website header. Can you spot the subtle movement of the water?
How to create a Cinemagraph from scratch:
- Adobe Premiere Pro
Create a Plan:
Before you shoot you need to plan! What action is taking place? What will stay moving and what will be still? Movement should be minimal for effective cinemagraphs.
How to shoot a cinemagraph:
- First, you have to define what is going to be your moving object in the clip
- The camera needs to be completely still, we recommend using a tripod
- Isolate 1 shot, note: this can be a photo with 16:19 ratio
- Without moving your frame, shoot a 10-second video
Steps for making a Cinemagraph using Adobe Premiere Pro
- Once you have filmed your subject, create a new project in Premiere Pro and export the photo and the clip
- Go to your timeline and place the clip on channel 1 and your photo on channel 2
- The photo and the clip should be of the same length:
- Using the pen, make a mask to insulate your moving object
- Right-click over the clip on the timeline and nest the two channels.
- Add your color correction
- Export your video as a GIF
If you do not have Premiere Pro or a laptop, you can still create a cinemagraph using your smartphone. Here are 2 cinemagraph app suggestions for IOS and Android users:
Examples of great Videos that can be made into cinemagraphs on Mixkit
Don’t have the time or resources to shoot the subject of a cinemagraph? We have selected a range of our videos that can be made into cinemagraphs instead! Pick from the below to practice your cinemagraph editing skills or post on Instagram.
Explore our gallery of Cinemagraphs
Find ready-made cinemagraphs in our gallery and add them to your feed or project today!